Travel Industry Council of Hong Kong

Site Map Contact Us
繁體中文簡體中文EnglishGraphical version
HomeChairman's CornerThe CouncilFind a Travel AgentAdvice for TravellersServices for MembersFind Jobs/StaffCodes and Regulations
Course InformationTour EscortsTourist GuidesLatest NewsFormsPublicationFAQsTender Notices
Proof of Cancellation ChargesIndustry Subsidy Schemes
Traveller Information
Protection for inbound visitors

Inbound visitors may browse the “ Advice for Travellers ” and the “ FAQs ” sections to learn about the protection for them. They may also browse the "List of Registered Shops" and “Shops whose Registration has been Cancelled”.

List of operators and intending operators of study tours

Schools or organisations intending to appoint travel agents to organise study tours on their behalf can refer to the “List of operators and intending operators of study tours” and contact the travel agents directly.

The Cross-boundary Movement of Physical Currency and Bearer Negotiable Instruments Ordinance

The Cross-boundary Movement of Physical Currency and Bearer Negotiable Instruments Ordinance comes into operation on 16 July 2018. For more information, please visit the website of the Customs and Excise Department.

Communicable diseases and travel health advice

For updates on measles cases in Okinawa, Japan and Taiwan, please click here for details.

For updates on communicable diseases such as avian influenza and Ebola virus disease, please visit the Centre for Health Protection website.

Travellers wishing to learn about latest news on health advice, please visit the Hong Kong Travellers' Health Service website and the Travel Health Bulletin.

Guidance for booking cruise products through travel agents

Please browse the Guidance for booking cruise products through travel agents .

Recent decisions by TIC's disciplinary committees

Outbound Travel Alert (OTA) System and Registration of Outbound Travel Information (ROTI)

Hong Kong residents planning to travel overseas are advised to browse the Security Bureau's OTA webpage and use the Hong Kong Immigration Department’s ROTI service to receive OTA updates and related information from the Government. 

Immigration Department's 24-hour helpline

Hong Kong residents who need help when they are outside the city may call the 24-hour hotline of the Immigration Department's Assistance to Hong Kong Residents Unit on (852)1868.

Visa-free Access for HKSAR Passports

Travellers may visit the GovHK website for an updated list of countries/territories which have granted visa-free access to HKSAR passport holders.

Industry Information
Member Agents
The Voice of TIC is released

Travel industry memebrs will benefit from the Travel Industry Training Fund  (“Cover Story”).

Directive No. 234

The captioned directive is about levy-related rules, and will supersede Directive Nos. 16, 18, 34 and 59 (Directive No. 234).

Dedicated Email System for Tours from Shenzhen to Hong Kong

Please click here for the dedicated email addresses of Hong Kong’s receiving agents. The dedicated email addresses of Shenzhen’s outbound agencies can be downloaded here (password not required).

Official launch of E-levy System

Members need to apply for an administrator account to use the captioned system to be launched on 1 June (Circular C1728).

European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation

The captioned regulation will come into effect on 25 May (Circular C1727).

Travel Knowledge Talk: Spain

Members interested in the captioned talk to be held on 28 June should register by 20 June (Circular C1731).

Briefing on E-levy System and Seminar on WeChat Pay

Members interested in the captioned events to be held on 25 June should register by 20 June (Circular C1733).

Poster for Cross-boundary Movement of Physical Currency and Bearer Negotiable Instruments Ordinance

The captioned poster is enclosed with Circular C1734.

Pre-service Tourist Guide Training Course (for English speakers)

The captioned course, which is eligible for subsidies under the Development Fund for the Travel Industry and will commence on 2 September, is now open for enrolment (Circular C1732).

Student helpers available to receive cruise visitors and offer assistance in MICE events

Inbound agents that need student helpers to receive large parties from cruise ships visiting Hong Kong or offer assistance in MICE events on an ad hoc or temporary basis may contact various universities and tertiary institutions (“ Latest News ”).

Schemes for SMEs

Members may go to the SME Funding Schemes’ website and the SME Financing Guarantee Scheme’s web page for details about various schemes for SMEs.

E-learning platform for tourism service industry

Industry members are welcome to use the e-learning platform (in Chinese only) launched by the Quality Tourism Services Association to enhance their service standards.

Tour Escorts
Latest information on courses for tour escorts

The Certificate Courses for Outbound Tour Escorts to be held during the following period is now open for enrolment:

Handy Tips for Tour Escorts

The “Handy Tips for Tour Escorts” covers general rules for healthy travel, basic first aid, insurance claims procedures and useful telephone numbers.

Tourist Guides
Benefits for tourist guides

Continuing Professional Development (CPD) for tourist guides...

Geopark Guide Accreditation System

Tour Escorts

Security Bureau's mobile app "Safeguard HK" is launched.

Latest information on courses for tour escorts:

Continuing Professional Development (CPD) for tourist guides

Tourist guides may click the following links to browse the information of the CPD activities:

  1. Knowledge on Hong Kong” Workshop / Quiz
  2. Seminars on professional ethics
  3. Self-selected courses

Tourist guides must not directly arrange inbound reception services

Tourist guides must not arrange tour-guiding and transfer services for inbound tours organised by mainland tour operators (“ Latest News ”).

Demerit system for tour guides

The TIC has set up a demerit system to improve the service standard of tourist guides who receive mainland visitors (“Other Rules for Tourist Guides”).

Tour guides must never force visitors to stay in shops

Tourist guides must not stop visitors from leaving the shops freely or coerce them into making purchases (“Latest News”).

I want to renew my Tour Escort Pass. Do I need to take the examination again?
I am 60 years old and retired. And my son is a teacher. Can our travel agent charge us additional charges?
How can the franking machine be reloaded?

© 2005 Travel Industry Council of Hong Kong. All rights reserved.
Last Updated: 2018-6-19