Travel Industry Council of Hong Kong

Site Map Contact Us
繁體中文簡體中文EnglishGraphical version
HomeChairman's CornerThe CouncilFind a Travel AgentAdvice for TravellersServices for MembersFind Jobs/StaffCodes and Regulations
Course InformationTour EscortsTourist GuidesLatest NewsFormsPublicationFAQsTender Notices
Proof of Cancellation ChargesIndustry Subsidy Schemes

Industry Subsidy Schemes

Training programme subsidy scheme

Training Programme Subsidy Scheme

Established with government funding, the Training Programme Subsidy Scheme (Subsidy Scheme) aims at enhancing the industry’s service quality through subsidising training activities organised by eligible training bodies. Those who work for travel agents will be able to take part in those activities at subsidised fees.

As the secretariat of the Subsidy Scheme, the TIC has set up an independent Vetting Committee to consider and approve all applications for subsidy.

Criteria for and scope of subsidy

Training activities are only for those who work for travel agents (including tour escorts and tourist guides) and must be able to enhance and upgrade their trade knowledge and skills. The activities can be courses, workshops, etc, and may cover cultural, heritage, green and creative tourism; customer service / hospitality; cruise travel; and Meetings, Incentives, Conventions, and Events (MICE) travel.

Applicants for eligible training activities must be non-profit-making and non-profit-distributing organisations, including training / education institutions, employer / employee associations or professional bodies in the industry.

Amount of subsidy and year of subsidy

Each approved training activity will be subsidised with a maximum of 80% of the approved cost, and the applicant organisation must bear the remaining 20%, which may include revenue from the activity (such as course fees) provided that it does not exceed 20% of the approved cost of the activity (see the application guide for details).

Each eligible organisation is subject to a subsidy ceiling of HK$250,000 per year. The first year of subsidy is to commence from the day when the Subsidy Scheme launches until 31 March 2019, and subsequent years of subsidy are to commence from 1 April of each year until 31 March of the next year.

Application procedures

Applications for subsidy for training activities may be made throughout the year. The applicant organisations must provide detailed information about the training activity in the application form, including the objectives, outline of contents, total number of hours, target participants and number of participants, commencement and completion dates, as well as qualifications of teachers, quality assurance mechanism, cost, and the applicant organisations’ experience in organising the same or similar training activities.

Training activities which have received or will receive any subsidy, sponsorship or donation from sources other than the Subsidy Scheme are ineligible for subsidy.

Grantee organisations can launch the approved training activities and accept enrolment only after signing a funding agreement with the TIC.

List of subsidised training activities and their providers (as at 31 March 2019)

Eligible applicant organisations may download the following documents for the application details:

For enquiries, please contact the secretariat (tel: 2969-8157; fax: 2510-9779; email: