Under a pilot scheme unveiled in the latest phase of the Closer Economic Partnership Arrangement (CEPA), wholly-owned or joint-venture Hong Kong travel agencies set up in Guangdong province are allowed to operate Hong Kong and Macao tours for Guangdong residents.
To obtain the preferential treatment, a travel agency must meet the following basic requirements (the details of which will be announced by the China National Tourism Administration):
- it must be incorporated pursuant to Hong Kong's Companies Ordinance;
- it has been in operation for at least 3 years;
- the annual turnover of a joint-venture travel agency must not be less than US$12 million and that of a wholly-owned travel agency must not be less than US$25 million;
- it has a registered capital of not less than RMB2.5 million;
- it operates travel agency business in Hong Kong;
- it employs 50% or above of its staff in Hong Kong;
- it has an office or offices in Hong Kong.
Apart from the above, a Hong Kong travel agency must first apply to the Trade and Industry Department for a Certificate of Hong Kong Service Supplier .